Change of Name Deed Service

The Unity LGBT Centre offers an official Change of Name Deed service. Please note that this service is only available to UK citizens.


What is a Change of Name Deed (Deed Poll) document?


In the UK, anyone may change their name if they want to. If you do change your name (unless it is through marriage or civil partnership - see below for more information) many official bodies such as the passport agency, banks and building societies may request an official document to prove that a name has been changed.


If you decide to change your name through Buckinghamshire Registration Service, you will be provided with a document which will help evidence your change of name.


You will have to sign and date your Change of Name Deed, and it also needs to be witnessed.

IMPORTANT:  A Change of Name Deed does not replace a birth certificate.  For all official purposes the Change of Name document would need to accompany a birth certificate i.e. for obtaining a passport in the newly adopted name. In addition, please note different organisations may have their own internal policies as to what evidence they require for a change of name. Buckinghamshire Registration Service cannot confirm whether an organisation’s policy may require further proof of a Change of Name.

Please note if you wish to put your new name on public record you will have to "enrol" it at the Royal Courts of Justice and complete different government forms, information on how to do this can be found online on


What can I change my name to?


By Change of Name Deed, you can officially change any part or your entire name. For example, you can change your forenames, surname (or both), add names, remove names, and change the spelling of your names. You can change your name as often as you want, at any time and for any reason provided it is not for deceptive or fraudulent purposes.


When deciding on your chosen name, the new name must not be rude or offensive neither can be used to create the impression of an inherited or awarded title such as Sir, Lord, Lady, Duke or Duchess, His/ Her Royal Highness etc. nor be chosen with the intent to defraud, it cannot include symbols or numbers.

Marriage and Civil Partnership


If you have married or entered into a civil partnership and wish to take the surname of your spouse, you do not have to complete an official Change of Name Deed. However, you should contact the passport office, and all other institutions such as banks and building societies and the DVLA to let them know you have changed your name. Your marriage or civil partnership certificate is your proof of change of name.


If you intend to be married abroad, overseas authorities will wish to see both your passport and your birth certificate. If the passport and the birth certificate show different names, then you will need to prove that you have changed your name and that you are the same person. This is when you may be required to produce your Change of Name Deed.


If you have divorced or are widowed and you no longer want to be known by your former spouse’s surname, you have the option to revert to your previous name, but if you chose to change to another name or if an organisation requests it, you will need to complete an official Change of Name Deed.


The cost of this service is a £5 donation, and you will get 10 copies of the official Change of Name Deed.


Print Print | Sitemap
© Unity Group Wales Registered Charity Number 1167542